Thursday, September 12, 2013

Everything That Rises.. Must get punched in the face!

So the assigned reading "Everything That Rises Must Converge" was not the best story in my opinion. Some parts were humorous, but overall, I could not get into it. Everything else we have read this far has been so much more interesting to me. But, I am going to try and analyze it.
I feel like the mother kind of got what she deserved. I mean, she seemed to be pretty good at making people feel inferior to her, and as such, got a taste of her own medicine. That woman put her in her place, it was well over-due. Now, I do think the circumstances were a little strange. I wouldn't punch someone over a penny, but it was the principle of it. I guess in a way, you could think of it as she was brought up differently and blah blah blah. But there's not excuse for the way she was talking and treating the black people around her. And I felt like her son was just as bad. I felt almost as if he was only trying to befriend black people just in spite of his mother. Almost like a rebellious teenager; make sure to do whatever it is your parents don't want you to do. It was kind of silly, and maybe the reason that he was so bad at approaching them was because they could feel his insensitivity. I don't know.
I wish it wouldn't have ended so abruptly. There were a lot of questions like: Is the mother going to get out of this state of mind? Why is Julian so concerned about her all of a sudden? Did the lady get in trouble for hitting his mother? I guess we will never know. It was fun in class to try and make up your own ending though!

1 comment:

  1. I thought this story was pretty good. I'm not really into stories with racism in it but it was still a good story to me. I could follow and understand it better than the other one we've read so far.

    ReplyDelete